SANKALP: A PROJECT FOR THE EDUCATION & REHABILITATION OF WORKING CHILDRENIN THE SLUMS OF INDORE CITY.
SANKALP: A PROJECT FOR THE EDUCATION & REHABILITATION OF WORKING CHILDREN IN THE SLUMS OF INDORE CITY
USM started with ten non-formal education centers for working children in different slums of Indore city. At present 16 centers are functioning. All together there are 480 students under the guidance of 16 teacher animators, two field coordinators.
Due to financial constraints, many children of the families living the slums go for work the whole day to earn their daily bread, even though most of them are enrolled in the schools. Such children come to the center for study in the evening for two to three hours. According to each one’s standard they are helped to continue their study. Every year students are prepared for the exams in class in their respective classes. The children who have left the school are prepared for Board Examination in class10 and 12. Till April 2017, 168 working children passed Board exam of class X and XII.
Objectives of the Project
The purpose of the project is to reduce and prevent child labour by creating an atmosphere for the overall development of the children of the poor families of the adopted slums.
- To integrate the working children into the main stream education by preparing them for the examination in Class V, Class VIII and class X.
- To create awareness among the family members about the dangers of child labour and motivate them to send children to school
- To create awareness in the communities of the slums regarding hazardous jobs, in order to prevent child labour.
- To improve the health of the child workers through health education and periodic health checkups.
- To provide opportunities for skill training to the school dropout children.
|List of Non-Formal Education Centres|
|S.No.||Name of the Teacher||Name of the Slums||No. of Students|
|1||Sita Sharma||Vishwakarma Nagar||32|
|2||Mradula Pal||Gadariya Mohalla||40|
|3||Sultana Mansoori||Vyas Nagar||35|
|4||Nikhat Khan||Samvid Nagar||27|
|6||Shakila Khan||Bawan Plot||32|
|7||Shamim Khan||Chandan Nagar||38|
|8||Usha Sharma||Prakash ka Bagicha||32|
|10||Shamshad Khan||Devi Ahilya Nagar||32|
|11||Nikhat Noor||Sirpur Kakad||40|
|12||Rubina Khan||Juna Risala||38|
|13||Shabnoor Mansoori||Goshiya Nagar||29|
|Co-ordinators: Mrs. Heena Kausar & Mrs. Khushboo Sharma Tiwari|